Monday 25 February 2013

Module 3 - 1st Blog

Hi all and welcome to module 3 - are we all ready...

I attended the 1st campus session lead by Paula on Friday which was really useful in terms of putting oneself back into the think tank after what felt like such a long time off!

I was able to get more clarity for module 3 which helped immensely, there is a lot of hard work to do, but I have now entered the tunnel, hoping to see this light at the end!  
Paula went through a powerpoint presentation, breaking down module 3 in a simpler form,  in terms of what is expected of us to form our inquiry etc it was really useful, and I suggest if you couldn't make the session definitely downloading the presentation.  I will be going over it often!  

We started the session by discussing the real basic question of 'what actually is an inquiry', basically what are we all doing??
We can use the below 'inquiry cycle' with regards to any particular topic.



The above is also relevant to Kolb's cycle that we looked at in Module 1.  Connecting the 2 more closely I think will be very interesting to look further into.
We need to ask questions, read & learn, look & listen, analyse & interpret, start & plan...

We also discussed literature reviews and how Summon as a tool - found on the libguides is great for finding literature, it's split into genres by articles - press reviews, trade reviews etc which is really helpful, especially if you're like me and through your own research have found the most interesting or relevant articles to be taken from press, at least now I can back up my discussions further where necessary with some sound academic literature.

We discussed how it was important to keep a 'where are you now timeline', just to ensure that you don't get on top of yourself, especially as we have all come this far, we really need to keep on trck for this final, but oh so important module!

We were asked to send our advisors feedback and a loose breakdown of where we are now, at first I wasn't sure what to write, but once I put pen to paper it all became a little clearer.

Everyone is at a loose end where to start, but I suggest putting pen to paper and making a head-start, as the sooner you do this, the sooner your inquiry will begin to take shape.

Happy inquiring...

5 comments:

  1. HI Hannah, I too found a sense of clarity with the campus session. Module three seems diverse in what it asks for and clearing up our plan was a good idea.

    Did you find you had to change much about your inquiry after feedback?

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ahmet,

      Good to hear from you!
      No I was actually quite lucky, so far so good I have stuck to my proposal and carried out 1 interview and 1 focus group, and found the results very interesting, especially considering that nobody involved was aware that completely unpaid interns were actually illegal! How are yo getting on, did you find much had to change at all?

      Delete
  2. Your right, Paula's slideshow is extremely helpful. The timeline is a great idea. I find things can get on top of you but with this you can see you are moving forward. Hope all is going well.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah,
    We havent been in touch before but thanks you for the update on the campus session. Will you follow my blog and I will do the same.Cheers,
    Pauline Hutton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannah.

    Good to see you at campus. I have also now used Summon on the libguides and found this to be helpful. I like your idea of putting pen to paper. The campus session's have given me a better understanding of the requirements for module 3, enabling me to prioritise tasks. I have since made good progress. See you at the next session. Gemma

    ReplyDelete