Saturday 23 March 2013

Session 2 Catch up...

Hi all,

I attended Session 2 the week before last and am yet to blog about it, so here I am.
After a recent skype session with Nina Standen feeding back to her the main point from the session I wanted to blog them also for my personal record as well as spreading the word for those unable to attend.

Agan, we went through a slideshow that I believe Paula will be blogging, I'm finding these really useful and insightful and suggest anyone unable to attend the sessions to read through thee slide shows that really help update you as to where you need to be etc.
http://paulanottingham.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/campus-session-3-slides-for-module-3.html 

We briefly touched on the critical reflection, and how it is to be primarily written, but should you need to use visual or audio aids with reference to your practitioner research then feel free to include this also.

Moved on to the professional artefact, discussing that this can actually be a WiP work in progress) it does not necessarily have to be a finished article.  The main aim is that is has to inform others in your community of practice, being aware of your audience.  Your artefact should emerge from your inquiry - it can be in the form of a document, event or even activity if relevant so think outside the box if you're stuck!!

We also discussed the structure of our writing and how we must ensure that our critical and literature reviews must take the form of being academically structured.  A session took place on Weds 20th March with Peter Thomas who we were told is a brilliant literature lecturer/advisor when it comes to academic writing.  I believe one of the advisors will be blogging about his session so will be worth keeping an eye out for this.

Paula highlighted how important it was to keep interacting with your SIG's as much as possible, Nina Standen and I had a great catch-up Skype session (as mentioned earlier) where we discussed the results of my focus group and the results from one of Nina's recent interviews with a social worker, although we aren't doing the same topic or even a similar subject it was good for both of us to almost be an outsider looking in on someone else's topic - refreshing to hear her point of view and vice versa.

I am aiming to make a start on my critical review whilst being snowed in this weekend...putting pen to paper!!  I am now very conscious of time and want to get cracking!!

Happy writing everybody!

3 comments:

  1. Hi hannah. The work we did in pairs (on reasons for your inquiry, what it is about, which tools you decided to use etc) can be used as an introduction. I have put a first draft on my blog you can look at.

    Hope to see you at the next session.

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah - I have been able to talk to Nina as well - beginning the writing up is important as it often takes more drafting and editing than you think to say what you want to say - this was also the advice to Nina! I have had some people send me updates and analysis for feedback as a part of the process. Hopefully the holiday will also bring everyone a chance to do a bit of relaxing.Bw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah,
    Yes i found the Skype sessions and phonecalls very helpful. Im very grateful that you are willing to share all that happens at the Campus sessions as its frustrating I cant get there.
    Thank you again, looking forward to your update after the 3rd Session.

    Nina

    ReplyDelete