Sunday 7 April 2013

Literature Review ii


Literature Review ii
'Join the fight against unpaid internships'

Libby Page’s article argues a very valid point, as well as highlighting that ‘unless students refuse to work for free, employers will continue to exploit them’, she also states that ‘If she were personally to take on unpaid work now, she would be very aware that, by doing so, she is saying that she doesn’t deserve a wage’.
Libby stated that initially ‘a big step for her was finding the confidence to value herself enough to warrant a wage. Although we all feel grateful for experiences gained within companies, we shouldn't underestimate the work we do there, or what we have to offer’.
I thought this concept was very interesting, that 1 word 'deserve', 

de·serve  

/dəˈzərv/
Verb
Do something or have or show qualities worthy of (reward or punishment).
Synonyms
merit - earn - rate - be worth

Why do interns, generically speaking place themselves in this unworthy, undeserving box?  I guess the answer is - 'because if I don't someone else will'.  Throughout my inquiry this is the most common answer I hear repeatedly.  I truly believe the only way the unpaid internship epidemic can be cured is if the government put into place the illegality measures to ensre internships can be carried out as fair practice for all involved.
Libby also points out that ‘students and graduates need to stand firm on this issue. We may not have the benefit of paid employment, but we do have voices, and we should be using them’.  I completely understand Libby’s take on this, but I also think it depends on the industry you are in.  Personally, I have my internships to thank for where I am today.  Using this and knowing the nature of my industry, I would not want to jeopordise anything to detriment to my success, but on the other hand I do appreciate unless more people fight for the interns justice then – in theory we are fighting a losing battle.  Is this why so many people are worried about speaking out?
"Fundamentally, we need to stop the practice of unpaid internships, and stand up for all those who feel forced to work for free, as well as those who are not able do so.”
As this article was published Labour MP Hazel Blears won a vote to bring forward a bill to outlaw the advertisement of unpaid internships.
As it stands currently, although it is not widely known (especially by the past and current inters I have interviewed for my inquiry) ‘under minimum wage legislation, everyone who works, including interns, are entitled to the national rate, currently £6.19 an hour for those aged 21 and over. But unpaid internships are still endemic in many industries’ – this is escalated due to companies having the ability to currently still legally advertise them, as Gus Baker co-founder of Intern Aware states,
"This bill not only raises the profile of the issue, but would give the government the power to prosecute companies who advertise illegal unpaid internships."

5 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    Thanks for posting this, i found some of the opinions and conseps very interesting as I am finding myself now looking at an unpaid year teaching in order to gain my qualifications, The GTP is now called SCITT which is basically the same thing without pay. It seems in quite a lot of proffessions now we are expacted to work "for free".


    Thanks
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina,

    Really, thats very interesting to know, as I have had many participants involved in my inquiry process from all career paths but no teachers, so the fact that you are almost expected to undertake something along the lines of an 'unpaid internship' to gain the necessary experience, I find very interesting. Even more interesting that the education board entitle these courses, such as a SCITT, as unpaid internships are illegal - maybe this is the way around it for big companies. Do many people undertake these SCITT years then do you know? Is it a full-time position, as I understand you are currently working and earning as a teacher within a school? Any feedback would be great, as appears my inquiry covers many industries.
    I am creating a 'guide to interning' as my artefact - sort of hand-out to be available to pick up at colleges and universities and also as an online document. Maybe this is something you could look at if you progress with your SCITT year - I wonder if there is anything out there already for the likes of yourselves? Especially with your experience as both a paid and then unpaid teacher.

    Let me know your thoughts, and feedback would be great. Great discussing with you, and interesting that our inquiry paths seem to be linked even though our inquires are so contrasting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah,

    Yes it is great that our inquiries are helpful to each other, im finding that I am learning so much, not just for the BAPP but life/work skills also and knowledge that could help in them first crucial years of our career when we are so vunarable.

    I believe that a considerable percent of trainee teachers will now be doing these SCITT years. Instead of doing them uni based (PGCE) we can opt to do them "on the job" at a school. This i think is more beneficial as its a hands on, practical approach to teaching. However in previous years this was funded and being offered a placement was like being offered a job and it was paid. I do see a benefit in that now there isn't one course funded and one not to make it fair, but i have been working as a paid teacher now for a year so will really struggle to not earn fot a year, especially when working as hard if not harder. It is full-time and I dont believe that expenes are paid either.
    I wonder if now because its ran through a university and we're simply "placed" in a school its seen as a uni course rather than a job so they can legally get away with it that way.

    It does make it incredibly hard though as now i am debating weather i can afford to do the course next year and might even have to postpone.

    I will certainly look at your hand out i think it would be very helpful to know the legalities and my rights if i was to work for free.

    Thanks
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannah,
    How are you getting on? Great to chat with you at the last campus session. Have you had your feedback yet? Let me know if you want one more session and maybe we could arrange it with Paula by skype. Or maybe this is it now the road to the end. Still struggling with the idea for artefact and just handed in first draft. Did you tell Mel I said hello? Hope you are doing great.
    Best wishes,
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pauline,

    No I haven't seen Mel, but fear not I will :)
    My 1st and final draft is due tomorrow :/ extremely worried! Time has been so precious this module and have had a really big interview to prepare for too so somewhat nervous! Glad you got your first draft in okay. Artefact is coming along after some feedback from Rosemary, just need to get the leaflet printed up! Fingers crossed for us all x

    ReplyDelete