Wednesday 9 May 2012

3a Part 2...

Following on from my 'Current Networks' Part 1, See below 2 views from contrasting professionals, who both use networking to promote their practice.  This process was really interesting for me to breakdown the concept of networking and see how different professionals network.  Mainly because I have used both concepts changing from the career of a performer to my current field in retail buying.
I now network almost identically to the 2nd example which is taken from a close friend who works for a high-end designer brand, but I believe this is due to the nature of my industry, therefore we network in a similar format. 
My perfect network would also be something along the lines of facebook, (which seemed to be a popular choice after this survey!) but with the ability to have it more closely/directly linked to the work place.  Being able to display previous or current work such as presentations and briefs, and having direct links to fashion/buying/interior blogs that other peers in my industry may find useful or interesting would be invaluable. You would have the ability to meet colleagues in a similar field and opportunities could be endless.
-What is your profession?- I am a dance & drama teacher at primary schools and I teach musical theatre at my own Saturday school.

- I have to network with schools to increase my student count and essentially work.  The majority of my school work has been through people I know or I have been recommended through other schools.  I have to network with the parents for my Saturday school to make sure they are spreading the word and to invite friends and family.

- With my schools I use every opportunity to talk to as many teachers and heads to try and get them to recommend me or to introduce me to other teachers and heads to further my work. At my Saturday school I continuously talk to parents to get feedback and have a good relationship with them, which then allows me to meet their friends/colleagues and so on, giving me an opportunity to plug my Saturday school to them! Also i hold bring a friend day which allows me to obtain details and numbers of new clientele.
-I only use email or phone to contact schools.  I use Facebook to tell people of some of the events that are happening at my Saturday school.

- My ideal network would have to be like Facebook with all the schools info accessible in my local borough.  Enabling me to send out an overall message to the entire school borough! And for my Saturday school again it would be like Facebook but something that allows me to send my message to all my contacts and their contacts and so on! The simpler the better, just straight to the point!
-What is your profession? PR and Press Assistant/Illustrator


-Do you network? Yes

-What are the current and different ways you network? LinkedIn, Facebook, I'm not so hot on Twitter but we used it a lot at Ralph. Free events, gallery openings and magazine launches, Fashion Monitor is good for keeping up to date with things going on and you never know who you might meet and even if you don't there's usually a free drink involved or goody bag!
;)

-Are there technologies you use socially that help you develop your professional network such as facebook, twitter etc?
Facebook has helped me keep in touch with contacts I have already made elsewhere, but I've never been approached or approached anyone professionally that I didn't already know.

-What would your ideal network look like and why?
I like the idea that Facebook has a structured profile for everyone but you can inject your personality by the photos you choose to display and info, groups you join etc. It would be great if there was a network that combined this with more space to write about what you doing professionally or to show examples of previous or current work, and that was able to be viewed by a wider audience (safely) and not just by "friends".
I found this image whilst surfing the internet with regards to this task, and whilst I am inclined to agree with the statement, I also believe that networking can enforce it.  It stimulates the idea that creatives can find their comfort zones within their art/practice (after much reflection!) and although they may be finding/have found themselves, the concept of creating yourself is a much fresher theory and one I like and will continue to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment