Thursday 10 May 2012

3c...Sources of Information

By looking at 3a part 2, where I asked friends and colleagues their ideas on networking has also helped me in exploring how I currently network and how I can improve this.

To me, this section of the module is about exploring the network connections I use that provide me with information from career opportunities to general practice knowledge and ideas.
Methods which I currently use to actively network include,

Google – I use Google on a daily basis, it is my first port of call for nearly anything and everything, be it if I am researching something, or don’t understand something.  For me, google gives me the possibilities of documents, data and images etc that I can easily and quickly connect to.

Linkedin – Linkedin to me is a grown up professional facebook.  It is a valuable tool for me, as it enables me to connect with professionals in my particular field and industry.  The larger your network the more opportunities you have available to you, therefore the more contacts you have the better.  Getting recommended is vital if you are scouting work, it is the equivalent of getting a referral from a recruitment agency. Having someone else recommend a service - ‘you’ goes a long way to making it feel more trustworthy and reliable.  You can also use LinkedIn to find the ‘inside scoop’ on people that you’re meeting. It is a great pool of connectivity.

Facebook – I use facebook on a personal level with regards to photos, invites and groups I’m connected with.  It is a good source for obtaining instant answers from friends and colleagues, as if you post a status you can normally predict that within half an hour you will have a number of comments answering your question. I also use it to keep updated with what’s happening in the industry as I am ‘friends’ with many companies that update information and images regularly that can be relevant to my practice – companies such-as Vogue and Elle etc.

Friends & colleagues – This is by far my most used and favoured network! I have friends and colleagues that have been part of both the industries I have been part of and their advice and guidance is invaluable.  From interview advice to where to seek fabric I can always rely on this network to deliver answers or provide guidance as to where to seek answers.  I have a close network and we all work together to help one another – cooperation! 

I am a very organised individual and researched online notebooks that colleagues at work actively use - helping them not only organise their daily lives, but also gives them the option to share ideas and documents with friends and peers.  This is something that I believe I can actively benefit from and am setting up my own online notebook, as I can only see it as a benefit for me.  Whilst researching the available online notebooks I came across the below link 'Springnote'.  If I am working on a particular project at work or have a particular idea for a presentation or design ideas I can create a group notebook.  This function allows me to easily share ideas and easily collaborate with others.  I also have the option to create a personal notebook where I can jot down to do lists, log appointments and daily meetings etc. They also have an app for the iphone, which means I can access my online notebook from wherever I am! 

http://www.springnote.com/en 

No comments:

Post a Comment