Friday 16 November 2012

Module 2 – Rader 5 – Task A


Module 2 – Rader 5 – Task A
Definition of ethics
plural noun
   1 [usually treated as plural] moral principles that govern a person’s behaviour or the conducting of an activity: medical ethics also enter into the question

2 [usually treated as singular] the branch of knowledge that deals with moral principles: neither metaphysics nor ethics is the home of religion
I have never been asked to consider my ethics within the workplace quite so literally.  I guess, subconsciously you apply your ethics on a daily basis, but they are not necessarily rules you abide by, they are simply a way of ones life.  My ethics may alter slightly from my personal life to my professional life, as in the workplace I adhere to the code of conduct within my practice that are set in place, they will also vary on the situations I come across.  In theory I would say my ethics in the workplace are affected by my peers, as I have learnt the do’s and dont’s from what is deemed acceptable and unacceptable – for example to address suppliers in a polite and professional manner, not ‘You alright babe’.
I have listed below in a general format the ethics I currently implement in my practice. 
Behaviour:
I mange peers below me, therefore I treat others how I wish to be treated and try to lead by example, learning from those above me.
We have a great working atmosphere in the workplace, but there must be boundaries that all are aware of between work and play.  It has to be addressed to ensure these boundaries are not threatened – in an industry such-as mine deadlines are so tight there is no room for movement, therefore there has to be a level of constant professionalism simply to ensure the ‘job gets done’, as each individual is wholly accountable.

Communication:
Communication is key I would think to any job role.  It is easy to fall under the rails and become lost in an industry particularly one like mine and my previous industry working in the theatre – in large industries such as these, especially when you are at the bottom of your career ladder your are that little fish playing in the big pond.  Stay in tune with yourself.
It is important that I stay involved with my team in terms of communicating - ask questions and share problems and I will inevitably continue to learn and grow as a professional.

Language:
I must always be aware of the language I use in the workplace, as obviously offensive language is simply not acceptable.  I am friends with many people in the workplace, but must always be aware of maintaining that professional level, especially when dealing with other areas of the business and suppliers/external peers. Again address and converse with people in the manner how I would wish to be spoken to.

Punctuality:
In a world where you are the hands behind the product and customers are reliant on you for their trusted products, every second is valuable.  It is also linked to over-all character impressions, in an industry where no-one has very much spare time - timing is critical.

Presentation:
Working in an industry driven initially by fashion, it helps to be dressed appropriately, your fashion sense I believe is also a huge part of who you are and I’m lucky enough to work in an industry where this can be expressed and welcomed.  It is also imperative to wear the correct clothing and shoes particularly if one is presenting to levels of seniority.

I’m sure there are other so many 'work ethics' I have not mentioned that I will come to realise I practice daily as my study continues.  Once I continue to breakdown my ethics and find out the expected ‘code of conduct’ at my workplace, I will be able to distinguish my ‘ethical actions’ even further.

No comments:

Post a Comment