Sunday 11 November 2012

Module 2 - 4a



So...I have developed a list of questions, I feel are relevant to my current professional practice...

What makes a good buyer?
Does having an interest in fashion and interiors inevitably mean you will be a good buyer in this field?

Does having a degree in your subject ie. Fashion/interiors related, but no experience make you a valuable buying team member? Or does having practitioner experience but not a degree make a better buying team member?

Are practitioners that do have a relevant degree more knowledgeable, and if so does this make a difference in the work-place?
Are you respected more in your profession working for the buying team of a retailer if you have been an experienced practitioner in your field, ie had a large amount of work experience (such-as interning) specifically in this field?

Do ex-performers choose a completely different career route,  so as not to be reminded of the career they chose to leave behind?
Are buyers that work in home ware related departments affected by fashion trends?
Do you think the theatre world is affected at all by the world of fashion?
Are you expected to be ‘creative’ to work in a fashion based industry within the buying team?
My next step would be to take these questions to a practitioner, particularly fellow practitioners that followed in similar foot steps to myself to see what reaction I get...I wonder if their answers would be similar to my own?!?  I may blog their answers alongside my own to see the difference/similarities!

It would be interesting to hear your comments and answers on my questions, specifically if you work in a similar field, or have left the world of performing to persue a drastically different career!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    I think your questions are really good, they have given me ideas for my own enquiry even though it is a complete different subject!
    Also i think you should change your font colour back to white as i was struggling to read the great things you are writing!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina,
    Oh great thats such good news. Perhaps you could email me (email add on blog) and we can form a SIG and spread the word to fellow practitioners. Im pretty sure we can help each other out in terms of inspiration for ideas etc - would be good!
    Yes, thanks I'm having difficulty with fonts - I will try to amend this. How are you finding developing ideas for your awards title? I found using questions as a form of developing the inquiry particularly useful, it almost gives you confirmation that you could be heading down the right path - and if you are anything similar to myself confirmation is exactly what I need!

    Thanks Nina, Hannah

    ReplyDelete